When you’ve had a bad day at work the last thing you wanna do is exercise. Sometimes being over worked and staring at a computer screen all day can really take its toll after a while and whilst they say exercise is the best stress relief sometimes stress can have such an impact on your fitness due to the following reasons:
- Concentration which is affected through stress as well as mental concentration which today I believe was highly affected by
- Memory, stress effects part of the brain that deals with short and long-term memory as well as working memory which is what you need and use to gather information such as decision-making
- Stress prevents weight loss and effects fitness due to the way fat is stored due to the specific hormones and chemicals your body produces. When stress keeps your cortisol levels elevated, your body stores more energy as fat.
- Your recovery process is delayed when stressed because your system breaks down when your stressed as it impairs your body’s ability to deal with stress such as exercise as its resources are used up.
- Muscle tension can be caused due to stress which causes injury when doing any form of exercising
- Stress ruins your motivation even more when you’ve had a bad day which I can say this is the one that has affected me the most which is the reason I run in the mornings before work
So, as I have run for the past 3 days tomorrow is my official rest day which I’m happy about because I need a rest so bad especially after the day I’ve had but how does one deal with stress when your focus is about keeping fit and losing weight.
- Herbal teas and lots of water avoiding alcohol, caffeine, nicotine and sugary snacks as it’s known for increasing your stress levels rather than reducing it even those as a woman if you’re like me the one thing you crave the most is chocolate but if any think it makes you feel worse so it’s best to just always avoid it when stressed
- Fresh air, yes, I I’m a runner but as described above sometimes exercise can be affected so getting out for walks and being away from the computer screen if you’re on one all day can give your mind a rest as I learnt today when I stepped outside my office for lunch when I’m known for working through it all the time
- Warm bath, scented candles and plenty of sleep and relaxation which I plan to be using tonight and some say stay off social media as it can make you feel worse but looking at inspiration quotes and pics can really motivate you
- Talking to friends and socialising to take your mind off things, I’ve been known for bottling things up, but s problem shared is all times a problem solved, there’s a saying that sometimes when you tell people your problems some don’t care and some are happy you have them but if you know who your real friends are then share with them
- Stress diary to right down what a stressing you and coming up with solutions to overcome it to take control off your life, I’ve made a list at the start of the year of where I want my future to go and things song change overnight, keep positive and start making those changes in your life
So, tomorrow is another day. 2 more days and it’s the weekend so I’m going to follow the above and try to remain as positive as possible as I will be running again on Friday and what’s not to be happy about when it’s Friday. I will be using my weekend to carry on exercising and being away from work should bring my spirits up a lot more and as they say, “you’re having a bad day not a bad life” things do get better.